A Flavorful Twist On The Classic Red Beans & Rice Recipe
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-5 hours
- Servings: 4-6 servings
1 pound dried red kidney beans
1 tablespoon coconut oil
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
10 cups vegetable stock
3-4 cups basmati rice
1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Turn the crock-pot on HIGH and add the 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT FOR THE 1/4 CUP CHOPPED GREEN ONIONS to the crock-pot and close the lid shut.
- After 30 minutes, turn the heat down to LOW **but do not open the lid, leave the crockpot closed**
- After approximately 1 hour, open the lid and stir the ingredients around evenly. Replace and/or close the lid afterward.
- After approximately 1 hour, open the lid again and stir the ingredients around, checking to see how things are coming along. Grab a spoon and test a bean or two to see how close they are to being ready. Close the lid afterward.
- After approximately 1 hour, open the lid again, stir the ingredients around and try another bean or two to see if they are almost ready. Depending on the crock-pot/slow cooker that you are using (and/or how fast the ingredients are cooking), it could take another 1-2 hours before the red beans are fully cooked and ready. When the beans become mushy and soft to the bite, they are ready. You will know.
- Once beans are fully cooked and ready, ADD the 1/4 cup chopped green onions, stir around and.. SHARE.