Slow Cooked, Cajun Style Jambalaya with Plant Based Ingredients
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 90-120 minutes
- Servings: 4-6 servings
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon red miso
1/2 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 red tomatoes (diced)
7-8 pieces of okra (sliced)
1 cup sliced butternut squash
1 orange bell pepper (sliced and diced)
2 celery stalks (finely diced)
2 leaves of collard greens (diced)
1/4 cup red lentils
1 cup long grain brown rice
3 1/4 cups natural spring water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Add coconut oil, olive oil, tomatoes, okra, squash, bell pepper, celery, collard greens, red miso, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin and a few drops of water to crockpot, stir all around, set heat to HIGH and close the lid shut.
- Put rest of the water into a pot on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, pour it into the crockpot then add the lentils and rice, stir all around evenly and close the lid shut (and leave closed shut) for 60 minutes
- Open crockpot lid, stir all ingredients around evenly and close the lid for another 40-60 minutes.
- Open lid stir all ingredients around evenly and take a bit to see how the rice feels/tastes. If the rice needs more cooking, can close the lid for another 15-20 minutes but it should be ready by now.
- Once ready, turn crcokpot heat off and serve warm with a sprinkle of sea salt on top.
If you'd prefer a little meat in your jambalaya, feel free to add (sliced) smoked sausage, ham, chicken and/or shrimp to this dish to make it meat-eater friendly. Can use cooked meats as a side to add when serving or add them directly to the crockpot (in Step #1) to cook down with the rest of the ingredients. Enjoy!