Organic Portobello Mushroom Stew with Navy Beans, Garlic, Miso, Red Beets, Red Chard and Tomato
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-45 minutes
- Servings: 3-5 servings
1 red beet (diced)
1/4 cup diced red beet greens
1 garlic clove (finely chopped and diced)
1/2 cup red chard (diced)
1/2 cup navy beans (pre-soaked in water for at least 10 hours and drained)
1 large tomato (sliced into about 8 pieces)
5 portobello mushrooms (sliced)
4 cups natural spring water
2 tablespoons miso paste
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Add coconut oil, olive oil, diced red beets, diced red beet greens, garlic, diced red chard, tomato slices and cracked black pepper, turmeric and cumin to pot and cook all on medium for 2-3 minutes.
- Add miso paste, mushrooms, navy beans and water and close lid with heat set to medium-low for 5-7 minutes.
- Open pot and stir all ingredients around for about 30-45 seconds. Set heat to low-simmer and close lid again for another 7-10 minutes.
- Re-open lid again and stir all ingredients around evenly for another 30-45 seconds. Taste-test one bean to see how well it is cooking. Close lid and let simmer for another 7-10 minutes.
- Open lid again and stir around all ingredients then taste-test another bean or two. Depending on power of your stove and/or how fast the beans are cooking, you may need to close lid again and simmer for another 7-10 minutes. Once beans are soft and a bit mushy to the bite, the dish is ready.
- Add sea salt to taste and serve with your favorite grain like rice, quinoa or pasta.